Tuesday, February 17, 2009

EMDR - Don't you wish everybody did?

I'm a therapist and EMDR practitioner in Ontario, Canada. EMDR is one of the most practical and efficient tools I've ever used. Almost every day there's another situation where I think (or say): EMDR! That person needs EMDR! It would make all the difference...

Like yesterday: a Toronto news story about three teenagers who were standing near the edge of a subway platform when a train was coming... They were deliberately pushed. One managed to regain his balance and not fall down onto the track. The other two did fall, and somehow in a split second rolled under the lip of the platform. They didn't die; one has a serious injury to his foot.

The mother of the boy who regained his balance commented on how he cannot go anywhere on the subway now -- he's so traumatized... EMDR! It would be perfect for that kid! I hope that a Toronto EMDR therapist called the media and made him/herself available.

This is the film's mandate: to get the word out. Wouldn't it be amazing if everyone immediately thought, yes, that person has undergone something awful -- I wonder when they'll start EMDR? And it was just a matter of everyday knowledge: that EMDR helps. A lot.
It's an exciting project, and I'm happy to be a contributor (small though my contribution is). I really encourage other practitioners to assist in any way with getting this film made. We can all help in the momentum of getting the word out -- let's start a ground-swell!

-- Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment